February 17, 2011

How I Came Out Of My Shell To Get My Picture

Sometimes you have to face your fears in order to do what you love. This is a story from the night I rose to my friends photography challenge.

My friend Lisa is a great belly dancer and one night she invited me to see one of her shows. Along with the dancers there was also a band that was performing. I was sitting at the table with my brother Jon and a few friends of mine when Lisa came up to talk with me. Earlier that day I told her how excited I was to bring my new camera there. So she asked me, "Would you mind taking some pictures of my friends band when they come out to play?" and I said sure I would love to but truthfully I was a little nervous. In front of where the band was suppose to play was a big empty dance floor. Next to that was where the crowd was sitting... dum dum dum ! I was nervous because I knew that in order to get good picture I would have to get up there. I'm pretty shy and this was a big deal for me and if I wanted to pursue photography I would have to eventually become more comfortable doing things like that.

Lisa is in the back left
The closer it got to the time for the band to come out the more nervous I became. I kept telling my brother Jon how scared I was and that I wouldn't be able to do it. He kept trying to reassure me that I could but I wasn't easily convinced. Then the show started the band was up on stage and I could feel myself stiffening up and shaking at the same time. I turned to Jon with a look of sheer terror and he told me "Get on up there" and despite my fear I did what he said.

I don't have very good eyesight so I had a hard time seeing where I was going. I probably bumped into a few people but I eventually made it up to the front. So there I was in front of that empty dance floor I paused before going onto it. I took a deep breath and told myself that everyone was watching the band and not me. Suddenly I felt alone up there, just me and my mission.

So First I went up and knelt down in front of the guitar player to get a shot up at him. He had an awesome Gibson guitar with bright red and yellow on it. I had the vision in my head for the picture to be all black and white with nothing colored but his guitar and I think it turned out great.

Next I got up in front of the singer. I love taking pictures because not being able to see very good in life means that I don't get a chance to see people's faces so when I got home and saw the pictures of her on my large computer screen I got to see how beautiful she was. I can see how people move and I loved how she was moving her hands along with her calming voice so I made sure to get those gestures into her photos.

It was time for the belly dancers to come out. I was looking forward to taking some pictures of them but before they were about to come out I got a call from my boyfriend Justin. My daughter Lily needed me so I had to leave earlier than planned. I did get to catch a few minutes of the show and it was awesome! The lead singer with the band was also a belly dancer. I took her picture while she was doing a dance with a wine bottle on top of her head. I like her facial expression in the photo along with the colors from her costume.

I am glad to of had the opportunity to take pictures that night. I feel confident knowing that I am capable of taking musicians portraits. I couldn't have done it without my brother he really helped me out by giving me the extra push that I needed, Thanks Jon!

No comments:

Post a Comment